Jack has been suffering from a major case of school envy. Almost every day he asks me if Ross and Brylie are at school. Now, I know that Jack has absolutely no idea what school is, but he does know that his friends go and he doesn't. So a couple of weeks ago I decided that Jack was going to start going to school, but that he would be going at home and the curriculum was going to be the alphabet.
The teacher in me has resurfaced. I've actually written lesson plans for this week even though they didn't have to be turned into the principal. I've gathered materials, spending my own money like teachers know they do all of the time. I've worked tirelessly in the evenings after the boys have gone to bed, been there done that a thousand times. I've even told John that I want to negotiate my contract before legislation changes. It all paid off even before "school" started. When I went in to get Jack after his nap, I asked him if he wanted to go to school. The smile on his face stretched from one ear to the other. And like I said, that was even before school started.
We made letter A cookies. What two year old wouldn't think that school is the most magical place on earth after making cookies on the first day?
One of my former co-workers gave me a lot of really good ideas. She also tole me not to expect Jack to get it right away. She said, "One day, you'll be driving along and he'll go "Mama, there's Grandma's G!!" and point to a sign and you'll know it's working!" So, Jack and I are just going to keep baking, reading, crafting, and playing until that day comes.





Ellie - what a wonderful idea. Jack (and Luke) are so very lucky!
ReplyDeleteI'm jealous! I always wanted an apron! :)
ReplyDeletePerfect!
ReplyDelete