Sunday, December 6, 2009

Grandparents


Unfortunately, I wasn't ever really able to have a relationship with any of my grandparents while I was growing up. I vaguely remember my dad's mother. She passed away when I was four, but I remember going to her apartment and enjoying Tang. Dad always told me that Grandma Thorn was able to spend a lot of time with me during those four years because she was retired. He told a story about Grandma taking me to the park in Algona. I insisted on climbing the ladder to the slide that was too high for me, and of course I fell and scared the daylights out of my grandmother. My maternal grandparents were in their late seventies when I was born and soon after suffered the loss of my mother. They didn't have the energy to keep up with the willful child that I was. The situation was unfortunate for me because from the stories that my brother and sisters tell, they were amazing grandparents. My only real knowledge of grandparents came from watching my dad interact with his grandchildren. My dad shined as a grandfather. Jake and Megan were especially blessed to have him around so much, and the relationship they formed with Dad was heartwarming to say the least.

Coming from a limited experience with grandparents, I had no idea what to expect. I've been absolutely delighted by what I've watched develop between Jack and his grandparents. The pride and patience that Jane and Marion have for Jack is boundless. We were eating at a restaurant last week when Jack began to get fussy. Marion scooped him up and walked around the restaurant with him. Everyone at the table affectionately agreed that he was probably stopping to talk with people he didn't know to tell them that Jack is his wonderful grandson. Marion has even spent the last few weekends helping John turn our bonus room into a playroom for Jack. Lucky boy. If you've ever had the chance to visit Jane's house, you know she has some very interesting antiques that would tempt any baby to touch. Those little treasures have been wordlessly packed away until Jack's a little older. The Christmas skating scene has a new home this year, right at Jack's eye level but lovingly out of his reach. When Jack arrives, a safety gate is placed in front of the dangerous stairs, and the birdseed is moved so Jack can reach his favorite toy (the doorstopper). All these little acts of love make it apparent that Jack has a place in their hearts.

As for Jack, his love for his grandparents becomes obvious when one sees his toothy grin and hears his delighted squeals when we arrive at Grandpa and Grandma's house. He's a lucky little boy to know the love of his grandparents, and I'm the lucky mother who gets to watch!

4 comments:

  1. Jack is such a lucky little man! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me want to cry. I'm so thankful for Jane and Marion. John's family is everything I've always wanted for you, Ellie. We love you all very much. :) Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say that the Seaton's are equally lucky to have you, Jack and John - I know they think so. There is nothing as much fun as being a grandparent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr & Mrs Seaton are awesome, I have to agree. They got lucky with Jack to though, he looks way too easy to love :) I absolutely love reading your blogs Ellie! Jack is absolutely precious and you definitely make them so funny and interesting!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete