Thursday, January 27, 2011

Two



Dear Jack,

I cannot believe that today is your second birthday. The past two years have passed all too quickly. I received a newsletter in the mail yesterday that suggested parents celebrate themselves too since we are responsible for raising the person you've become. In that case, bring out the party hats because I am so proud of you, Jack. You are better than I ever could have hoped for. Here's a little about you that I want all of us to remember.

Jack at 2:

  • In that last month or two your language has exploded. You often speak in sentences. My favorite thing right now is when I ask you a question and you reply, "Hmm, don't know." It cracks be up every single time. 
  • Your vocabulary surprises me and your daddy ever day. The other day your dad was putting one of your toys back together and you said, "Backwards." What do you know, you were right. Daddy was trying to put it together backwards. 
  • "Jack do it!" I bet I hear that sentence fifty times a day. You have become pretty independent lately. 
  • Your favorite pastimes are reading either by yourself or with Mommy and playing outside. You're pretty much game for any suggestions that include time outside. You'll help Daddy build fires or clean cars or you'll walk with Mommy to the end of the driveway to get the mail. You also enjoy riding your bicycle or three wheeler. 
  • Your favorite toys are your Duplos, Matchbox cars, and your kitchen set. You love when Mommy or Daddy helps you build something big, but you're also satisfied building on your own too. Mommy takes your creations apart every night because you prefer to start from scratch in the morning. In your kitchen you like to make coffee (with the blender Grandma got you for Christmas) for Mommy and snacks for me and Baby Luke.
  • Speaking of Baby Luke, you are an awesome big brother! You love to help Mommy soothe him and you love to lay on the floor and play with him. You read him books all of the time. Luke is really lucky to have you as his brother. 
  • Physically you are growing too. I put you on the bathroom scale this morning. It read 29.5 pounds. Grandpa and Daddy measured you not long ago. I think you were about 34 inches tall. Just recently I've noticed that some of your pants are looking a little short. 
  • I counted your teeth this morning. You have 17 if I count the second molar that I can feel pushing through.
  • You wear size 18-24 month clothing and size 7.5 shoes. You've discovered a ball cap in the past week or so and you like to wear that when you ride in the car. I took you to the library this morning and asked you to take off your hat. You refused and when I forced the issue you were a little ticked at Mommy.
  • Generally you are so good natured. Tantrums are rare and when they do occur they don't last long.
  • Your memory amazes me. You talk about little things that happened weeks ago as if they happened today. 
  • Typically you eat cereal, toast with Nutella, or oatmeal for breakfast. Lunch is either dinner leftovers or chicken nuggets or grilled cheese, a fruit (you like raisins, apricots, clementines, bananas, strawberries, or apples), string cheese, and peas. You're not a big fan of vegetables. You do like beans though. You're a pretty adventurous eater at dinner time. You'll try anything Mommy and Daddy are eating. You worry about things being too spicy for you though and no one should even try to add salt to your plate. 
  • You aren't very interested in learning your colors or letters yet so I've let that slide. I'm sure that will come soon enough. 
  • You've gone potty on the potty chair several times, but not with an consistency. I don't think you're quite ready yet. Usually you tell Mommy you have to go to the bathroom after you've already gone. It's all a ploy to get an M&M from me! 
  • You're a wonderful sleeper. You go to bed easily at 8:00 and wake up around 7:00. There are many days when you sleep until 8:00 or 9:00 though if the house remains quiet, which it really doesn't since Luke joined the crew. You nap around 12:30 or 1:00 for a couple of hours. Lately you've been having some nightmares and I've had to go in and reassure you that everything is alright. 
I know there is so much else to tell about you, my wonderful son, but duty calls. There's a birthday party to prepare for and your Aunt Kathy, Jake, and Megan are flying in tonight to attend. Everyone loves you so much. I am so lucky to be your mom.

Here's a video I made in celebration of your second birthday. I chose your favorite songs to accompany the pictures.




Update: I took you to the doctor for your two year appointment. You weighed 29 pounds and were 34 1/4 inches tall. Unfortunately, the doctor said it was time to be rid of your pacifier. You took the news like a champ. We're on your second night of going to bed without it. You haven't raised a fuss at all. I've sort of vilified the doctor though. You know it was her idea for the pacifier to disappear. When I ask you what the doctor said, you say, "No more paci for Jack!" 

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Jack! What a wonderful post, Ellie! Jack is really such a wonderful little guy! Have a great time at the party!

    ReplyDelete