Jack and I took Luke in for his 2 month doctor appointment this morning. You can imagine my surprise when I found out he weighs 14 lbs 1 oz. What a chunk! I knew he was growing quickly because he's already moved into the 3-6 month clothing and needs to move into size 2 diapers. At the same age, Jack weighed 12 lbs 7 oz. I shared with the doctor that Luke is a fussier baby than Jack was. She told me that mothers often try to comfort fussy babies by nursing.
You think? Not my sweet Baby Luke! It's a habit we're going to try to break. From now on Luke only gets to eat every three hours at the most... unless he gets really wound up! :-) Both boys were 23 inches long at this age.
Dr. Lohse was pleased with Luke's social development. He interacted with her by smiling and cooing. He also blew some raspberries just to show her he could do it! He really is awfully sweet.
We talked a lot about sleep (or lack of) because it's all I can think about. I'm exhausted! Jack spoiled me by being a pretty good sleeper from the very beginning. Luke is a champion sleeper once I get him to sleep and keep him asleep. Typically what happens is that he goes to sleep very easily and then wakes up the second I put him down. Dr. Lohse advised that we begin putting him down when he's drowsy and let him figure out how to fall asleep on his own. Let's just say that I tried this during naptime and ended up with the baby sleeping on my chest for 30 minutes until I was certain I could move him! Fail! Luke has also started getting up more frequently during the night the last week or so. Again it comes back to him not knowing how to soothe himself into sleep. We'll work on that. John and I both agree that he's going to have to figure out his pacifier. Up to this point he has refused it, but I'm going to focus on it the rest of the week. That may also help with the nursing to soothe issue as well.
Luke's interest in mobiles and his playmat has increased in the last week or so. He loves the octopus on his playmat as much as Jack did as a baby. Luke doesn't mind being on his tummy. He's lifting his head pretty well. He's a tough little guy. I must admit that I already see that Luke is going to be a daddy's boy. He pretty much lights up when John is around. I think it's because John is willing to hold him all of the time. That's not as practical when you're the one who is home all of the time and trying to care for a toddler too.
On Friday I am going to leave Luke with Grandma for the first time. I've pumped often enough that I have a couple of bottles ready. I'm looking forward to a little time alone with Jack. We haven't had that opportunity for a long time.
That's Luke at 2 months in a nutshell. I know these monthly posts may bore you, but I like to be able to refer back to them when I'm ready to work on the baby book. (Yes, Megan, our second child will have a baby book! <3)



you should be practiced up...you did a decent job on my book back when you were like 16 years old..hah :)
ReplyDelete