As I read John's blog last night about grandparents, I thought to myself that someone is missing. I've thought this several times during my pregnancy and a few times since Jack was born. That someone is my dad.
For a wedding shower, my dad was asked to write about me. I didn't have a mother to attend the shower, and fathers aren't asked to attend showers. So, Dad wrote about me, and it was read at the shower. I want to share one paragraph of his musings in which he speaks about my future child.
"Ellie has proved herself to be a fine daughter, a sensitive sister, a loving aunt, and a good friend. There is no doubt in my mind that she will be a good teacher, a loving wife, and a wonderful mother. I don't know anyone who has given more to the people around her than Ellie has. I love you and pray that life will always be good to you and the new family you are starting. We are all pleased to be adding John to our family. Take good care of each other and continue as a couple to try to be the very best you can be."
Though my dad can't be here to celebrate Jack's birth, he left behind something that speaks to his excitement about seeing me as a mother. My dad began building furniture later in his life. His last major project was a cradle, which he gave to me in hopes I'd have a baby to use it one day. Now it rocks beside my bed at night, used when I am too tired to put Jack back in his crib. So, even though Dad can't be here to hold Jack in his arms, something he built with his hands is holding Jack.


Ellie, you made me cry. Dad would have been so excited about Jack. Dad was a wonderful grandpa. My kids adored him. Jake and Megan still quote Grandpa often and talk about things they did together. He made quite an impact on them. It makes me sad that Jack won't have that connection. However, when I see how much love Jack has from so many people, I can't help but think what a lucky little boy Jack is.
ReplyDeleteEllie -
ReplyDeleteI believe with all that I am that your dad's celebrating Jack's birth. He's left behind quite a legacy in you, Jack and John and your family.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI just know...your sweet dad is smiling.
ReplyDeleteEllie..what a beautiful letter from your father and so perfectly stated and so absolutely true!! He knew you so well, you are a beautiful person and will be an awesome mother. I know that your father is shining his love down upon your family yesterday, today, and always. The cradle is beautiful, you are very lucky to have an heirloom created out of such great love!
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely angel to have watching over Jack.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet him! (and see john and you!)
ReplyDelete20 days!
Love, Megan
Although I only met him for a short time during the wedding, I was sad to hear that he had passed. Elle, I am sorry for you loss be keep focused on all of the signs and memories he as left for you. I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to know him.
ReplyDeleteNick