Friday, September 9, 2011

Grandma's Heart

Grandma Jane has a huge heart. She has always been one of the boys' favorite people. Jack is a little older, so his love can be expressed in words. At least once a week he asks me if we can go see Grandma. Who can blame him? She makes cookies with him, keeps his favorite treats stocked in her pantry, buys him gifts, and sees only the very best in him. I had to laugh the last time we visited. Soon after we arrived, Jack had to sit in time out for pushing Luke. Later, I asked Jack to move Luke's high chair back into the dining room. Luke got in the way, so naturally Jack just plowed him over. I was out of sight, but Grandma was quick to explain that it was an accident. We all know it was not an accident, but who is going to argue with Grandma? 



Luke smiles some of his biggest smiles for Grandma's benefit. To me, Jane is also very special. Mother/Daughter-in-law relationships can be complicated. Some of that difficulty can probably be attributed to the daughter-in-law comparing her mother-in-law to her own mother. Since I don't remember my mother, there can be no comparing. Instead, I see Jane as the closest I'll ever have to a mother. Phone calls women would normally make to their own mothers, I make to Jane. Just last week, I noticed that Luke's color was off. He looked a little yellow. I suspected that the cause was all of the carrots that I've been feeding the little guy, but of course I panicked thinking that something may be wrong with his liver. So Jane got a phone call. I just absolutely love the woman. 


On Wednesday, Jane had heart surgery. Her aortic valve was defective and had to be replaced. I've said lots of prayers that Jane recover quickly. I hope you'll join me. If you'd like to send her your well wishes, you can find her at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/janeseaton.

No comments:

Post a Comment