There are events in our lives that define us. Change us. Make us better. But today I'm left wondering is perhaps sometimes God creates events that help us define our children too. Undoubtedly He does, and I'm pretty sure that's what happened in my life today.
Around noon, I was driving home from a friend's house. My mind was on getting home quickly and getting children in bed for their naps. When the tire pressure light came on the truck, I pulled off the highway. I was still hopeful that the tire pressure was just a little low but knew that by the feel of the truck as it came to a stop that I wasn't going to be that lucky. I went around to the passenger side of the truck, and my heart dropped a bit in dread when I saw that the tire was definitely flat.
I've changed some tires in my life. You couldn't be Larry Thorn's daughter and not know how it's done. And you probably couldn't be Larry Thorn's daughter and not believe that you're perfectly capable of changing that tire by yourself. So I got out the car's manual to see where the spare was located and where the jack should be placed. The manual suggested opening the hood to signal to a passing police officer that you need help. I raised the hood, but continued about my business of changing it myself. That business included taking out two strollers, a bike, and a kid carrier backpack and placing them on the ground beside the truck so I could get out the tools. I'm sure it was quite the spectacle to people driving by.
Getting the tire down from the bottom of the truck proved tricky although I had it figured out when an old, beat up car stopped behind me. An older gentleman got out of his car and said, "I saw you on the other side of the road, and something told me that I needed to turn around and help, so that's what I did." His name was Gilbert, and he pretty much told me to stand back while he took care of the tire. Changing the tire was not easy for him. He was older, and it was obviously taxing for him. I pitched in when he got winded, and together we got the spare on. I didn't really know how to thank Gilbert. All I had were my words of gratitude.
Thirty minutes after pulling over with a flat tire, I was back on the road and headed home. Driving time often is the perfect time to think. It wasn't long before I started thinking about the fifty cars that passed without stopping to help. What made Gilbert different? And ultimately, what can I do as a mom to make sure Jack and Luke are the kind of people who stop to help a mother and her children on the side of the road?
I'm pretty sure helping others is something we teach our kids. I remember last winter Jake called me on his way home from school on an icy Friday. He told me that he had just stopped to help pull someone out of the ditch. I know for certain that Jake's dad, Kevin, would have done the exact same thing and probably has several times. So what can I do that teaches my kids that helping others is the right thing to do? I'm now on the lookout for opportunities just like that.
For now, discussing what happened today with Jack will have to be enough. Telling him how nice it was that Gilbert stopped and how Mommy is pretty sure she would not have been able to lift that heavy flat tire into the truck by herself will have to suffice. But somehow and someway, I am determined that my children will be the ones that see others in need and stop to lend a helping hand even if I have to teach them myself.
Monday, September 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Love this. I'm pretty sure that God is happy you listened to His whispers today...telling you that there was a valuable lesson to be learned. I'm sure Gilbert felt valuable, too. Makes me want, even more, to go find "The Cowboy" and just let him know that a certain little boy thinks of him often.
ReplyDeleteEllie - what a wonderful post! I think it is not only important to teach our children these things, but also to be a reminder to all of us how much it means to someone to simply offer help even though it would be easier to drive on by...
ReplyDelete