Our Publix seems to hire a certain kind of man to bag their groceries. Usually they are retired, and this is the job they do because retirement bores them. They love people. You can tell how much they love people by the amount of talking they want to do while they help you put your groceries in your car. I've talked with the same bagger about how much he likes the Nissan Juke a couple of times. I've heard an awful lot about the weather forecast. And, I know that one particular bagger has one granddaughter, and her name is Alexis. She's eight.
I had a conversation with the chatty bagger at the grocery store last week. He talked with Jack for a bit before he turned his attention to me and Luke, who was strapped into the carrier on my chest. "I bet that's a good baby," he wagered.
"He is," I replied.
"You always know the good ones because they have that bald spot on the backs of their heads," he explained. He went on to share his rationale. Good babies sleep a lot. They sleep their heads bald. Inside I was chuckling because I knew that on one account at least (sleeping a lot), Luke had this guy fooled.
It's funny how with one glance the guy pretty much summed up my baby. Luckily, it was a favorable summation. It certainly gave us something to talk about.

No comments:
Post a Comment