Thursday, January 26, 2012

When I See You Tomorrow...


As I left Jack's room tonight, I softly whispered, "Good night, sweet boy. When I see you tomorrow, you will be three!" For just a moment, I felt shocked that it has been three years since he was that tiny baby placed in my arms for the first time. The baby I didn't know exactly what to do with. The baby who I sometimes forgot was in the house before I became used to being a mother. The baby who made me a mommy. 


The shock subsided and instead I thought about how packed with joy these three years have been. My mind took a little journey down the road that led us to today, the eve of Jack's third birthday. I remembered the exhaustion of his first few months and how my favorite thing to do with my new baby was to snuggle him close to me until we both drifted off to sleep. I relived how giddy I felt the first time he flashed his toothless smile at me. I recalled teaching him to make car noises before he could speak any words. I revisited the memory of him taking his first steps between me and his dad. Millions of memories have been packed into these three years, and we have a few million more to make in the coming year. 



One of the newsletters that arrives in my inbox each month suggested interviewing your child on each birthday. 

What is your name?  Jackie Chan (Thanks, Annie! Haha!) 

How old are you?  3! (Very good!) 4!

What is your favorite color?  Red and blue

Who is your best friend?  Luke

What is your favorite animal?  Don't know... giraffe

What do you want to do when you grow up?  Go to the zoo and ride the zoo train

What is your favorite book?  The Little Red Caboose

What is your favorite movie?  Thomas the Tank Engine

What makes you happy?  When people don't take my blocks. Note: John was trying to throw an old, broken block away just before I asked Jack these questions.

What makes you sad?  When people take my blocks away.

What do you like to eat?  Rice Krispies

What is your favorite song?  Thomas the Tank Engine (singing), Bob the Builder

What is your favorite game?  Don't know


Good night, sweet boy. When I see you tomorrow, you will be three!

2 comments:

  1. Again...he looks SO grown up!!!! Can't wait to celebrate with you, Jack...you are one of my favorite little men. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post! I'm gonna copy your interview and use it with my kids ;) can't wait for the pirate party

    ReplyDelete