Luke turned 1 year old today. Sometimes it seems impossible that my baby is already a year old. Other times it feels as though he has been a part of our family forever.
We had a loose circus theme to the party. My sisters couldn't be at the party because Kathy's surgery was earlier this week. So, they sent the finger puppets in the popcorn pail. They were flea market finds that I find incredibly endearing. The animal crackers were our party favors for young guests.
I had to do a lot of little things to help Jack get past his jealousy about this being Luke's birthday party and not his. We went to Target where Jack got to pick out a Wheelie car for Luke. In "preschool" on Thursday, Jack and I made this card for Luke.
Jack helped me put together the Duplo circus train for the cupcake train. And, he helped me make the cupcakes. By far his greatest strength as a baker is his taste testing skills.
When I brought Luke his cupcake with a lit candle, Jack was so excited that he came over and blew out the candle. Luke just laughed, and so did all of the rest of us.
The cupcakes were a hit with all of the little kids including Luke. He made quite a mess.
Luke got many nice birthday presents. I had to laugh when I talked to Erin after the party. She told me about Jack bringing Luke's fire truck over to her and saying, "Look at my new fire truck, Erin." Ha!
So, now Luke is one year old. What has he been up to?
- He weighs 24 lbs 1 oz and is 30 3/4 in tall.
- He walks exclusively now. No more crawling for this guy.
- He climbs onto everything. There's not a chair or table in our house that hasn't been tested. John jokes that he is going to be a mountain climber. He's got the skills.
- He's very affectionate. He gives kisses that are very wet but awfully sweet. Even Jack loves them. He also gives hugs.
- The child loves to look at books by himself, but he can't stand to sit still long enough to listen to one.
- He is still nursing. I don't have any plans to quit right away even though Erin reminds me that at his one month birthday I said something to the effect of one month down, eleven to go in reference to nursing.
- He also eats his casseroles and is getting very good with finger foods. He's a good eater.
- His favorite toys are the Little People toys, Wheelies, and anything that Jack is trying to play with.
- He has nine teeth that he likes to have brushed.
- On the other hand, there is nothing Luke likes less than a diaper change or getting dressed.
- Ah-da is Luke's word of choice. I'm not sure what it means, but he says it all of the time. He also says something that sounds like hi, thank you, and Jack. He occasionally points at something he wants.
- He listens pretty well to the word no and because I have to say it so often he understands sit down. Ha!
- He dances to music or when Mom sings.
- Luke naps once from about 12:30 to 2:30. He goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:00 and unfortunately has been waking up once in the night before waking for the day around 7:00 or 8:00.
To Luke:
You're one of my life's greatest blessings. I'm honored to be the mother of a boy as sweet as you. Your laughter warms my heart, and your spirit is infectious. I'm so lucky you are my son.










Happy Birthday Luke! It looks like the party was a fun time - the cupcake train is awesome!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday Luke! I'm sorry I missed your First Birthday Party. That's an exciting event for sure.
ReplyDeleteEllie - everything looked wonderful and I hear you all had a great time. I look forward to his Second...and so on...not pushing it, though!!!
Great party ideas. I wish I could have been there. We love you, Luke!
ReplyDelete