Wednesday, June 29, 2011

He Got Love & Logic-ed.


Jack went through a tough period a couple of months ago. I really shouldn't say that. I went through a period in which I didn't have a clear discipline plan, and Jack took advantage of the situation as any two year old would. So, I started asking some of my friends who have kids a few years older than Jack to help me out. The title Love and Logic for Early Childhood came up three times from three different friends. Then I mentioned it to my sister, Kathy, and she told me that is was familiar with the title too and thought it was a good resource. That sealed the deal. I reserved it at the library, and read it in three hours while the boys napped one afternoon. I liked almost everything I read, and I've been pretty enthused by the new mood at our house. 

Jack did not want to take a nap today, but it was quite apparent by the amount of whining going on around here that he desperately needed a snooze. Without too much fuss because I told him that if he took a nap he could watch a movie before bed, he went to his room and proceeded to just mess around for an hour. No sleeping. After watching him for an hour on the monitor, I went into his room with love and logic. "Oh how sad, Jack. Since you didn't nap you will be too sleepy to watch a movie tonight. That's so sad. Maybe we can watch a movie tomorrow night instead."

I had to totally hide my smile when Jack's response was, "No, Mama. That's not so sad. Go away. I am going to sleep." I am not exaggerating or kidding in the slightest. That is exactly what he said. I told him that I would leave for a little bit and let him go to sleep. The little booger was asleep within ten minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment