Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fixing Bikes

By Tuesday afternoon, the kids and I were tired of the rainy weather that prevented us from taking our usual afternoon trips to the park, so I put Luke in his bike seat and Jack and I hopped on our bikes for a long ride. A little over a mile away from the house, Jack was riding around a huge puddle when he went off the sidewalk. He corrected his course and came back up onto the sidewalk, but the maneuver popped his tire. Lucky Luke was the only one who got a ride home. Jack and I had to push our bikes. When I told Jack that we would have to wait for his dad to get home on Saturday to fix the bike, he immediately started counting days and expressing his irritation that it would be four days before he could ride his bike again. Thankfully, John, Jack, and Luke fixed Jack's tire this afternoon, so we are back in business. 



John felt Jack's pain in having to wait to have his bike fixed. He recalled a summer he spent at his grandparents' house in Michigan when he was in second or third grade. He popped the tire on his scooter. His grandfather bought the tube but could not fix the tire until after work. So John went out and fixed the tire himself as an 8 or 9 year old. That's incredible to me. Hopefully Jack and Luke will be as resourceful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment