I spent the weekend at our church's women's retreat. It was the first time I was away from the boys overnight with the exception of when I went to Megan's graduation party and left Jack at home with John. We didn't break the news to Jack that I was going away until John mentioned it to him the morning I was set to leave. His reaction? "But I really love her!" accompanied by a lot of tears.
We left it alone at that, and I spent the morning trying to get ready to go. It's not very easy to pack when there are two active toddlers to watch. I saw this activity in a magazine last week and thought it might be the perfect time to try it out. I poked holes in a box with a nail, started screws, and gave him a short little screwdriver to use to tighten the screws. He loved it! I bought myself over an hour with that one activity, enough time to pack my bag.
At lunch, I tried to break the news once again that I was going on a little trip. And then he began trying to persuade me to stay. "I'm going to lock the door so tight that you won't be able to go." When that didn't work, he opened the door and said, "Mom, it is too cold and windy for you to go on your trip." And his final effort was, "Don't you know that Luke is just going to cry when you leave, Mom?" This exchange reminded me of when he told Megan that he was going to throw all her stuff on the floor when she had to leave for college.
Before last weekend, I had never been on a women's retreat before, but I know given the opportunity I will be going on another one. The chance to bond with other women was wonderful. Time to relax, including going to a movie, was appreciated. Just having a break from my day to day life was fantastic. I came home feeling refreshed. It didn't hurt that within an hour of my return, Jack and I took a two hour nap together. :-) Thanks for the opportunity to get away, Marion, Jane, and John.



Sounds like a wonderful weekend for you Ellie! Everyone deserves a little break - especially hard working moms like you!
ReplyDeleteHow awesome! I am glad you had fun.
ReplyDeletePS. Don't you dare cut Jack's hair between now and my arrival on Saturday.
Thank you!