Wednesday, May 26, 2010

He's His Daddy's Son





I can't tell you how many times John has told me about the Matchbox car collection he had as a little boy. Jane has even shared that as a tiny boy John used to sit for hours and look at the catalog that came with each car. They don't make those catalogs anymore, but Grandma Jane found one for Jack on Ebay. We're saving the catalog for when he's a bit older. For now, I took him to the book store and bought him a board book with pictures of cars and trucks. It's currently his favorite book, and just like his daddy and those catalogs, Jack will spend long periods of time studying the photographs.

When Jack came home from the hospital, there were already Matchbox cars waiting for him. John has added to that collection with every trip to Target. The other night I was feeling pretty tired when John got home from work. I think it only took one look at me for John to decide that it might be a good night for him to take charge. So he loaded Jack into the truck and off they went. Jack came home with a sack full of Matchbox cars that he was pretty proud to show his mother, and he's been playing with them ever since. In fact yesterday morning I was feeding Jack his oatmeal when he started to whine and gesture that he wanted something that was on the counter. Usually that whine is reserved for food and since there was no other food on the counter I was confused about what the little guy wanted. Before long tears set in. Finally, frustrated, Jack decided to communicate another way and said, "Vrrrrm." That's when I knew that he wanted the cars that I had picked up off the floor the night before and set on the counter.

Jack is crazy about cars just like his daddy. These days it isn't Matchbox cars that John is crazy about. It's cars that are much larger. In fact, John just ordered his next lease car. This lease is a compromise. John has spent the last several years wanting a motorcycle. I really would prefer that he not get a motorcycle. So, I suggested that John pick whatever car he wanted for the next lease and I'll drive the Versa for a year. John has chosen the 40th Anniversary 370Z. What a lucky guy. And, won't his son think he's the coolest?

3 comments:

  1. Is there a backseat in that thing for TWO carseats? Pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Th Z doesn't have a backseat. This will be an illustration of intertemporal equilibrium as the next lease will probably be a Quest with two backseats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just two seats, one for the driver )which will be me when im there) and one for the copilot, (which will be you Johnboy).

    ReplyDelete