Friday, May 29, 2009

Four Month Doctor's Appointment

When I took Jack to his two month doctor's appointment and the nurse gave him his shots, I nearly cried with him. This time I went prepared. I read an article in Parents about managing vaccination pain. One of their suggestions was giving the baby sugar water right before the shots and then drizzle it over his taste buds as he got the shot. It totally worked. Jack did not even cry this time! He was too busy enjoying his first taste of sugar to even notice that he was in pain!

The doctor is pleased with Jack's progress. He weighed in at 16 pounds 1 ounce, which is the 75th percentile. He is 25 inches long, which is the 50th percentile. Once again the doctor assured me that breastfed babies tend to be a little chunkier. Dr. B. gave us the nod to begin feeding Jack rice cereal sometime between now and his six month appointment. I may give it a couple more weeks before we begin because Jack's tongue thrust reflex is still noticeable.

A smiling Jack and I passed two sobbing babies on our way out to the car. Sugar water is amazing! 


1 comment:

  1. Maybe that's why Coke and Pepsi are so popular?

    So good to hear you both are doing so well!

    Janice

    ReplyDelete