Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What a Difference a YEAR Makes!

Update: Jack's 12 month doctor's appointment was this morning. Everything is going well. Jack weighed 23 lbs 5 oz, which puts him in the 50th percentile. He is 29.5 inches long, also in the 50th percentile. And, his head is 18.5 in- 75th percentile. Our best news is that Jack's anemia test results came back better this time, so Jack doesn't have to take the iron supplement anymore. Hooray! The nurse did a really neat eye test in which she took a photograph of Jack's eyes. The photo is sent to their pediatric optometrist who will give me a call with the results in the next few days. They are making sure that the muscles in each of Jack's eyes are developing evenly. We talked a bit about Jack's disregard of the word no. She assured me that it is normal and to keep on doing what I have been doing. We talked about diet. Jack has the green light to try anything, including peanut butter. Aunt Kathy will be relieved since peanut butter is the staple of her diet. I was right that Jack has his molars on their way. His gums are swollen, which is an indicator I didn't know about. That's about it from the doctor's visit. I'm glad he's healthy!



Jack is one year old today. Incredible! So, what's Jack been up to this month?

  • Jack weighs about 24 pounds. When he goes to the doctor tomorrow, I will post his exact weight. I don't know his height, so we'll have to get that tomorrow. 
  • Jack suffered through his first cold in January. It ended up becoming an ear infection that took two antibiotics to clear up. Poor baby! Now that Jack is over his ear infection, he seems to regard his daddy and mommy equally. For awhile he was pulling favorites, which sort of irritated his dad. I kept telling John that I'll only be his favorite until he's old enough to figure out that his dad is a lot more fun! 
  • Jack has eight teeth with two more on their way. Getting his teeth brushed is not one of his favorite things. He's been to the dentist because he chipped one of his front teeth last month. The dentist said that his teeth look good and the chip is nothing to worry about.
  • Jack has been drinking one bottle at night for this entire month. His LAST bag of breastmilk comes out of the freezer tonight. My hard work (pumping) paid off, and Jack had breastmilk his entire first year. 
  • Eating has become a breeze. Jack's primary diet consists of four casseroles that he loves. I supplement with finger foods such as fruits, vegetables, cheese, Cheerios, toast, etc. The only food that Jack truly dislikes is tuna. 
  • Jack says Daddy and doggy although they sound like the same word. He also says hi and thank you. Of course he can say lots of sounds and one of those sounds is ma ma, but I don't think he actually knows that is me. 
  • Jack has no interest in walking. He cruises around furniture and pushes walking toys, but he hasn't stood on his own or let go to stand unassisted yet. His Army crawl is only used occasionally as Jack prefers a more traditional crawl now. That kid is FAST! I can't look away for a minute or he slips past me.  
  • Jack loves to dance, and he tries to snap his fingers to music like mom. He won't clap. Who knows what's up with that.
  • He points at everything and says something that sounds like "these" whenever he points. ???
  • My absolute favorite times of the day are when Jack wakes up around 6:00 and I bring him back to bed with us. He snuggles close to me and falls back asleep for an hour or two. I also love when Jack wakes up from his nap. We sit in his rocking chair and look out the window together for 10 or 15 minutes. Those cuddling moments are the best. 
  • Speaking of naps, Jack seems to have made the transition from two naps to one in the last few days. It never fails that just when I think I know exactly what to expect from my child, he turns things upside down on me. Little stinker. 
  • Jack's favorite toys are cars and Little People toys. He continues to love touch and feel books, but Peekaboo Mornings is still his absolute favorite title. 
  • Jack has absolutely no regard for the word no. It may be because I haven't developed a stern mommy voice yet, or maybe I am going to have to research the subject a little more. I can hear my dad's voice in my ear as I type this bullet. He's saying, "Just let the kid have fun." Ha! 
As we look towards Jack's second year, we can only hope that it's half as amazing as his first. Daddy and I love you with our whole hearts, Jack! Happy birthday, little man.

1 comment: