Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Boys These Days


Jack has discovered the word why and he isn't afraid of using it.... 4,000 times a day. For example:

Me: Jack, you shouldn't touch the blind in your room.
Jack: Why?
Me: You're breaking it.
Jack: Why? 
My thought: Exactly! 

Jack is really trying to figure out how to emphatically express himself lately. Just the other night upon his third or fourth request for a drink of water before bed he said, "Daddy, don't talk to me about no!" John and I about laughed ourselves silly. Another common expression around here is "like I said". I hate it, but I know he got that from me. I've caught myself saying it and mentally kick myself every time I use it now. 


Luke has finally decided he likes books. He brings me countless books throughout the day and says something that he thinks means read, but sounds nothing like any word I have ever associated with books or reading. The best way to describe the sound is th. Nevertheless, I know exactly what he means and will read to him until I'm hoarse or he's bored. His favorites right now are Peek A Who? and Dear Zoo. 


Jack is sort of a Santa buff. He knows details about the guy that amaze me. I heard him refer to Santa as St. Nick while he was playing with his Playmobil Santa and elf this morning. St. Nick and the elf were having a conversation about which presents were for boys and which presents were for girls. We've been unwrapping a new Christmas book every night and reading with the boys. Jack really loves the books that are about Santa, but his favorite book seems to be The Grinch Who Stole Christmas. I'm hoping he's absorbing the real message in the book, that Christmas is about more than toys and lights. 


Our favorite activity since the weather has been cold and rainy is chasing each other around the house. Luke and Jack both shriek in delight as they run through the kitchen, dining room, living room, and back into the kitchen with me hot on their tails. Their laughter is my favorite sound. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word! Such cute pictures. Can't wait to get together soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are little heart breakers! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete