... and Mommy's too!
Christmas traditions are fun for the most part. I say for the most part because the Thorn family had one of the worst traditions when I was a kid. Every Christmas Eve, we had to eat oyster stew, which is perhaps the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Bleh! On to happier topics...
Since this is Jack's first Christmas, this is when all the Seaton family traditions will be established. John and I have one tradition that we started when we got married that we will continue. We take the cut off part of the trunk from the Christmas tree and write what big events have happened in our lives that year. Then I display them in a basket as a reminder of all the blessings we've had throughout our marriage.
Now that we have a baby, we want to add a few more traditions. My sister, Kathy, started getting her kids an ornament each year many years ago. That will be a tradition that we steal. Each year when we put up the tree, Jack will get to open his ornament and add it to the tree. As for the tree, now that we live in what we hope is our forever house, we are going to buy a small live tree each year that we will plant after Christmas. Jack is going to get to open a present on Christmas Eve. The gift will always be a pair of pajamas to wear on Christmas Eve as he waits for Santa's arrival. Another Christmas tradition we're going to have at our house is that Jack is always going to receive a Christmas themed book as a gift on Christmas Day that we can share as a family. Jack will definitely write a letter to Santa each year, and his elf on the shelf will be helping Santa make sure that Jack is a good little boy. Does anyone have any other traditions that you used with your kids or that you remember from when you were a child? I'd love to steal some good ideas!

Hey Ellie - Grandma Bruns made oyster stew every Christmas Eve for all her life. I loved it! She made hot dogs for those who said "bleh". Then scalloped oysters from leftovers for Christmas dinner. Yummy! When I made my cookbook, I put in the menu for the Bruns traditional Christmas. I'll have to e-mail that even though you didn't get to enjoy too many of those. Love your wood rounds idea!
ReplyDeleteJanice
I love the idea of cutting of the bottom of the tree and writing the memories of that year on them! My children are much older and we never have done the santa thing so I guess I'm not much help with traditions, sorry! I enjoyed reading your post. Hope you have a wonderful first Christmas with your precious little guy!
ReplyDeleteJust love all your ideas. I especially love the writing a memory on the tree stump. We have fake tree for allergy reasons so I might just have to think up another way. Elf on a Shelf is such a great idea too bad my kids are 14 and 9...where was that when they were young...
ReplyDeleteGreat post
Amy
LOVE your tree stump idea!!
ReplyDeleteI don't know you but we have started a fun little tradition in our home. Our boys (obviously didn't start this until they were about 5 years old:) ) go with Grandma to the dollar store to buy special presents for everyone in the family. They each get to go alone with Grandma and then they gift wrap the items with her so no one else knows what they are getting! We look forward to our orange plastic toilet scrubbers and junky figurines every year. :)
ReplyDelete